Thursday, April 29, 2004

Blog tools

Been looking at a few blogging tools to make the blogging process a bit more efficient. I also wanted to look at the features available with some of these blogging tools. Read a few reviews and looked at Blogger and Movable Type. Movable Type seemed to require a bit more setup time but looks like a great tool. Typepad is a the simpler, no fuss version of Movable Type but there is a monthly fee associated with it depending on what features you want.

Blogger kind of sold it to me because it said you could set it up in a couple of minutes. Tried to set up an account and it said that Chaosgeneration was already taken. So I tried logging in and it worked! Turns out that I'd set up an account back in August 2001 and must've just forgotten about it. I had even posted an item to the blog.

So I've now taken that further and have customised the blog page to look like the rest of the site and the page now gets automatically ftped to the Chaosgeneration site.

On the Blogger site, they have a list of providers of Comments and Trackback functionality for your blog. So I checked out a few of the links and ended up going with Haloscan as it was free and looked easy to set up.

So now I can publish faster and more efficiently - no need to open Dreamweaver and the FTP program and all that. Can just jump on any computer that's online and just post away at whim! Yay!